Leading Social Rides - 2nd Rider Drop

Registered users: please post your Group Rides or Race Events here.

Useful information includes: Location, Date and Time as well as pace and skill level (group rides). If possible include directions or links to the location.

Moderator: Moderators

Leading Social Rides - 2nd Rider Drop

Postby KenS » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:10 pm

I experienced a new style of leading social rides this past weekend at the NEMBA Summit and dug it so much that I feel the need to share.

The idea is simple and brilliant. There is a designated leader and sweep, either of which can change throughout the ride, as long as each knows the trails and total number of riders in the group.

When an intersection approaches, the leader calls "drop" and the second rider pulls off to direct the rest of the ride, then falls back in at the front of the sweep.

How I haven't been exposed to this in over 22yrs on a mtb amazes me. It is just a super way to lead a social "no drop" ride, and takes a lot of pressure off of people who think they are slowing the group down. On a large ride with lots of turns everyone experiences a "drop" and you get to ride with everyone in the group. A simple explanation at the trailhead gets everyone on onboard with the ride structure.
JORBA - Estell Manor
seebeck-at-jorba.org
KenS
blabbermouth

Return to Ride Board