Wildlife Management Area Regulations

News and happenings at JORBA stewarded parks. (Trail Work announcements should go into Trail Work Forum)

Moderator: Moderators

Wildlife Management Area Regulations

Postby mergs » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:24 pm

Along with the Mountian Bike Policy
the following regulations are also posted:

Wildlife Management Area Regulations
Regulations for use of Wildlife Management Areas are established by the Division of Fish and Wildlife with penalties of not less than $50 nor more than $200. Information on these regulations and permit applications may be obtained by writing to the Division of Fish and Wildlife, PO Box 400, Trenton, NJ 08625-0400.
The Division may revoke any permit or other authorization issued for violation or due cause.

The following are prohibited: camping, swimming, picnicking, dumping, cutting or damaging vegetation, alcoholic beverages and fires.

Restricted Hours

Wildlife Management Areas are closed from 9 p.m. until 5 a.m. unless engaged in lawful hunting, fishing or trapping activities. Special permission may be granted for division approved activities.

Motor Vehicles

No person shall operate an unregistered vehicle on roads under the control of the Division of Fish and Wildlife. All motor vehicles are restricted to established public roads and parking areas. The use of dog sleds and dog carts, off-road vehicles, ATVs, trailbikes or snowmobiles is prohibited on all Wildlife Management Areas unless authorized by the Division.

Target Practice

Only archery, shotgun, muzzleloading shotgun, muzzleloading rifle and .22 caliber rimfire rifle shooting is allowed in designated hunter training ranges. One member of the shooting party must have a current, valid New Jeresey hunting license.

The following types of ranges are available on designated WMAs statewide:

Shotgun Range: for use with clay birds and the patterning of fine shot (lead-free only shot at Assunpinkand Colliers Mills);
Archery Range: approved backstops at select ranges, no broadheads allowed;
Muzzleloading Rifle and Shotgun Slug Range: for sighting in with shotgun slugs or buckshot, .22 caliber, rimfire rifles and muzzleloaders; no other firearms allowed.
Waterfowl Blinds

No permanent waterfowlblinds, including pit blinds, shall be constructed, hunted from or used in any manner on any of the following: 1. Assunpink
2. Black River
3. Colliers Mills
4. Hainesville
5. Tuckahoe
6. Manahawkin
7. Stafford Forge 8. Whittingham
9. Beaver Swamp
10. Sedge Island
11. Salem River
12. Prospertown
13. Paulinskill
Any blind used in these designated areas must be portable and shall be completely removed at the end of the day. Blinds remaining in WMAs will be subject to confiscation and properly disposed of by Fish and Wildlife.

Dog Training and Exercising

Dogs may only be trained between Sept. 1 and Apr. 30. Some areas with designated dog training areas allow dog training all year. All dogs must be licensed according to state law.

NJAC: 7:25-2:20 - Dog Training Rules (pdf, 8kb)

Field Trials

Permits for use of Wildlife Management Areas for running of field trials may be granted by the Division.

Horseback Riding

This is allowed only on designated WMAs (listed below) with a permit purchased ($25.00 per person, per calendar year, plus $2.00 application fee) from the Division of Fish and Wildlife's license Web site at http://www.wildlifelicense.com/nj/. For information, call 609-259-2132.

Permittees are responsible and liable for any damage which may occur and shall abide by regulations for use of Wildlife Management Areas. Areas on which horseback riding is currently permitted in designated areas are:

Flatbrook and Whittingham, Sussex County
Black River, Morris County
Alexauken Creek and Capoolong Creek, Hunterdon County
Assunpink, Monmouth County
Colliers Mills and Greenwood, Ocean County
Great Egg Harbor River, Atlantic County
Medford, Burlington County
Glassboro, Gloucester County
Winslow, Camden County
Bevans, Union Lake and Peaslee, Cumberland County
Higbee Beach and Tuckahoe (MacNamara), Cape May County
Fishing Tournaments

Any club or organization that would like to use Division Wildlife Management Areas for fishing tournaments must secure a permit from the Division. An application must be submitted to obtain a use permit. Applications will be accepted in January at the Division’s Southern Region office - call 856-629-4950 for information.

Outboard Motors

Only electric motors are allowed on freshwater areas with the exception of Union Lake where outboard motors not exceeding 10 hp. may be used. On Prospertown Lake, only manually operated boats and canoes are allowed. Please note that all titled boats must also be registered. In addition, any boat mechanically propelled, regardless of length, must be registered.

Boat Ramp Maintenance Permits

Any vehicle used to transport or launch a vessel or water conveyance on the following WMAs must have affixed to the lower corner of the driver’s side rear window a Boat Ramp Maintenance Permit or a photocopy of a valid hunting, fishing or trapping license showing the Conservation ID Number (CID#). Boat Ramp Maintenance Permits may be purchased for a fee of $15.00 from any license agent or the Division's license Web site (under "Wildlife Management Area Use Permits").

1. Round Valley Reservoir, Angler Access
2. Assunpink WMA, Assunpink Lake
3. Assunpink WMA, Stone Tavern Lake
4. Assunpink WMA, Rising Sun Lake
5. Dennis Creek WMA, Dennis Creek
6. Tuckahoe WMA, Tuckahoe River
7. Mad Horse Creek WMA, Mad Horse Creek
8. Union Lake WMA, Union Lake
9. Menantico Ponds WMA, Menantico Ponds
10. Prospertown Lake WMA, Prospertown Lake
Any questions regarding WMA regulations should be directed to the division law enforcement office nearest you - see the Contact Us page for contact information.
User avatar
Posts: 1055
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:54 pm
Location: Spokane, WA

Return to Park News

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests