New Trail Completed

News and happenings at JORBA stewarded parks. (Trail Work announcements should go into Trail Work Forum)

Moderator: Moderators

New Trail Completed

Postby BobW » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:08 pm

Hey if you have not noticed there is a new trail in the north section of the park. The trail is closest to the Tranquilty side of the park and is off the purple blazed trail (Ditch/Cardiac). The entrance is just before the top of the climb (right before the last rock face climb) when approaching from the west.

The trail is approx a mile long and rejoins the purple trail before it meets up with the white trail (Waterloo/RT517) to the north.

The trail has a little bit of everything in it and it also makes a great alternate climb to the top of the Cardiac Trail.

Hope everyone enjoys!!!
"The rides to short to not kick against the pricks" M.F.
BobW
blabbermouth

Postby KirtM » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:11 pm

Does it have a name? It needs a name!
KirtM
blabbermouth

Postby mergs » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:26 pm

KirtM wrote:Does it have a name? It needs a name!

I agree! We need a name for this!

Just my 2 cents: this new trail is another winner! It a sweet addition to the growing number of sweet single track on the tranquility side. It well built, has great flow and just super fun to ride!

The IMBA Trail Care Crew (Anna, Jason and Moxy the freeriding black lab) gave it 2 thumbs/paws up!
mergs
blabbermouth

No name yet...

Postby BobW » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:04 pm

Hey maybe we call it " No Name Trai" or I was thinking Cardiac Bypass...I know not very exciting, but hey thats how we roll!
BobW
blabbermouth

Postby RyGanley » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:30 pm

I have yet to see this trail, but if it's anything like your past work I look forward to grinding my gears up it. Bob, any advise on how to get a trail to flow like you do at Allamuchy? I am flagging a bunch of stuff at Tourne, and they need that "flow" of All.
"are my legs still underneath me?"
RyGanley

Flow

Postby BobW » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:44 pm

Ry - time and walking in the woods!!! For me flow is probably one of the hardest things to accomplish. Sometimes it means going back and changing things after you have either started or finished.

One of the big things is, as IMBA pushes, is running the trail when you have it flagged out. As dorkey as it feels it does work. The other, equally as dorkey, is thinking lke water. This is not from a erosion point of view but from a movement point of view...water typically does not make 90 degree turns etc. it flows and conforms to the land surface 9think a meandring stream).

On the other hand, one persons flow is not necessarily another persons. So listen to those around you as well!

If you need another pair of eyes some time on flagging and working with the topography let me know!

Bob
BobW
blabbermouth

Postby RyGanley » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:47 pm

GREAT ADVICE... I see what you mean about running the trail and working like water. I was just going to bring the bike and run it down the trail to see were it leads me but I can see that taking me in straight lines and I want to use the contor of the trail to "pump" through turns making a fun feel.
"are my legs still underneath me?"
RyGanley

Nice new single track

Postby Wazu » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:10 pm

I went on that trail yesterday and I'm going there Tuesday at 3 again. I thought that it was fabulously laid out and was as challenging as it was fun. I'm trying to get to know all of Allamuchy so if anyone knows any continous "loops" that go to the top of the mountain and then back to the car I'd love to go.
Worry About What You Can Control. Let The Rest Roll Off.
Wazu

Loops

Postby BobW » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:43 am

Wazu,

There are lots of loops you could do there. If you don't have it already download the map of the park (look under the Allamuchy section of the JORBA site: http://allamuchy.jorba.org) and use the marked trails as a guide. There are twice as many trails in the park as are marked. The best way to figure things out s to bite it off in small pieces and go from there.

I am sure we will bump into each other at some point! BTW, we are working on the Stephens side of the park as well. By the end of the summer there should be approx 18 miles of marked trail from the Stephens office and out to the Fire Tower.

If you are interested in getting involved with TM shoot me an e-mail at allamuchy@jorba.org. Next date is on Aug 5th!

Bob W
BobW
blabbermouth

Postby Wazu » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:15 pm

Hello Bob. Pleased to meet ya and thanks for the information. You can put me down for T.M. for August 5th. I don't know how much help I'll be but I'll give it my all. I'll be available for other T.M. days. I enjoy the trails so much. I feel like a moocher if I don't pitch in. I went riding again today at the 517 gate. I'll tell ya what, I musta fell at least 5 times! Nothing at speed mind you, but still, some of those wet ascents on the new cardiac bypass with the swithbacks and the roots...I mean can you blame me?It's okay because I love coming back to the car beat up sore and dirty. If I didn't I'd be a roadie.
Until last week I was riding exclusively Deer Park for the last two months to get into biking shape. That place might not be the most techinical track around but boy it's the most fun for the buck. The side I'm biking on now is much more humbling. It's more north on 517 than Deer Park Rd. Maybe a mile. I walked a few times today. I admit it. On the other hand I got to this one part of the trail where there was a string of huge moab type rocks and then eventually the trail was separated by a hugundis 50 foot stone. I had to balance in the middle to see where the trail picked up again. I made it though all that and the switchbacks and rock gardens so I was happy. I'd like to get together with someone who knows ALL A MUCHY. I met up with KirtM on the trail and he said he'd hook me up with a ride in the near future. If anyone else wants to ride any of the ALL A MUCHY trail route please gimmie a hollar! I'd also be interested in riding with anyone who knows how to get from Sandshore Rd area in Budd Lake to Deer Park using a trail. Happy Trails
Wazu

Marty's Ride

Postby BobW » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:25 am

Wazu,

FYI Marty's out of Hackettstown hosts a ride every Tues night starting at 6:00 fromthe shop. The loop is usually thru Stepehens and up thru Deer Park. Might be something to check out.

Gald to hear you found more of the park. Its a great place!

Bob W.
BobW
blabbermouth

Postby Wazu » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:44 pm

The more I see Allamuchy the more I love it. Lot's of spider webs crossing the trails though. I'm gonna have to drag all my friends there to give it more use. I've done the 517 gate like 6 times now and I've still only run into two mountain bikers. There are alot more people doing the Deer Park trails I think. I found a loop today too. These trails are honestly quite good. A real nice mix of techinical ascents/desents. Oh, btw do you know the distance of the Tuesday night ride? Happy trails.
Wazu

Matry's Ride

Postby BobW » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:03 am

Normally the dist ranges from 15 to 19 miles. A little bit of road in the begining and end. The pace has been somewhat fast recently, however it will depend on who shows up.

I wont be doing ithe ride the next two weeks due to other obligations, I am sure we wil meet some time in the future.

Look for the silver Saab wagon and say hello!

Bob W.
BobW
blabbermouth

Postby New World Man » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:56 pm

I have a name suggestion for this trail, "awesome!"
Great work, took the downhill approach and loved it.
New World Man

Glad you like!

Postby BobW » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:13 am

Its not so bad as an uphill either! :D
BobW
blabbermouth

Return to Park News